The underlying principles of our approach in PE are to help students develop an understanding of the benefits of maintaining balanced, active and healthy lifestyle as well as the opportunities and pathways for participation in physical activity. This is achieved through a rich culture of practical sports activities, theoretical lessons, and whole school initiatives.
Key Stage 2
The intent of our physical education curriculum is to provide all children with high quality physical education and sport provision. It is our vision for every pupil to succeed and achieve their potential as well as to lead physically active lifestyles. We recognise the importance of physical education and the role it must play in promoting long term, healthy lifestyles. The Primary students gain expertise in skills and techniques about specific sports, selecting and applying skills, tactics and compositional ideas and learning how to apply them in different activities. They are learning how to develop and use their knowledge of the principles behind the strategies, tactics, and ideas to improve their effectiveness. They are also encouraged to develop their understanding of Healthy Active Lifestyle and why physical activity is good for their health and well-being. An extensive range of after school sport is offered to help develop students’ skills and confidence in a more competitive environment.
The students have two lessons a week. Indoor lessons are performed in mixed age classes and consist of a mixture of activities including swimming, fitness, badminton, basketball, boxing, martial arts, table tennis and trampolining.
Outdoor lessons are also performed in mixed age groups and include traditional sports such as football, cricket, rounders and athletics.
Key Stage 3
We aim to create the very best experience for all ability levels within Physical Education. We challenge students to think, act and speak like those working in the field would. We do this by building leadership qualities in the students, for example by leading peers in warm-ups and drills and learning to speak confidently in front of others.
The main focus during Years 7, 8 and 9 is on learning and developing specific sports, continuing to evaluate and improve their performance by identifying what makes a performance effective. They will also gain knowledge and understanding of fitness and health by exploring how exercise affects the body in the short term. They will also learn why wearing appropriate clothing and being hygienic is good for their health and safety. Students are encouraged to choose and use skills effectively for particular games. They will improve their knowledge and understanding to be confident and safe in the spaces used to play and to be more aware of actions taking place around them.
Activities will include basketball, football, badminton, trampoline, swimming, leadership, fitness, boxing, martial arts, athletics and cricket. An extensive range of after-school sport is also offered.
Key Stage 4
GCSE (9-1) PE includes the compulsory study of: Applied Anatomy and Physiology, Physical Training, Movement Analysis, Socio-Cultural Influences, Data in Sport and Health, Fitness and Wellbeing. Alongside this are the practical skills of PE which are examined via the practical assessment within school. Students explore how parts of the human body function during physical activity and the physiological adaptations that can occur due to diet and training. They also develop skills in data analysis, and an understanding of the principles of training, why we train in different ways and how training plans can be made to optimise results. Students will also develop their knowledge of the social-cultural and psychological influences on levels of participation in sport, and also how sport impacts on society more broadly. This includes the individual benefits to health, fitness and well-being of participating in physical activity, as well as the influences of commercialisation, sponsorship and the media. Students who decide not to take physical education will still complete two hours of high-quality competitive PE during years 10 and 11.
There are two key parts to the Physical Education Programme offered to students in Years 10 and 11.
- All students will have the option to study PE and Sport at GCSE level.
- Students that do not take GCSE PE as an option will continue to have a minimum two PE lessons as part of their fitness and health development.
The course is divided into one theory unit which is worth 60% of the total marks and is assessed by written exam in Year 11. The other 40% of the course consists of practical performance as a participant, official or coach in two activities, the completion of a written personal analysis and evaluation coursework task and a verbally assessed analysis of the performance task.
40% – Practical
60% – Theory